Scotch Lamb shank with red wine recipe
- prep 15 mins
- cook 2 1/2-3 hrs
- serves 4
- 4 Scotch Lamb shanks
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 bottle of red wine
- 3 medium onions
- 3 bay leaves
- Sprig of rosemary
- 2 carrots
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 500ml beef stock
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
The secret to a meltingly tender lamb shank is a slow even cook.
- Pre-heat the oven to 150 degrees celcius.
- Pop a heavy based casserole dish on to a medium heat and add some rapeseed oil to the pan.
- Once the dish is smoking hot, sear the lamb shanks individually. Press the meat down and give each side around a minute.
- Prepare the vegetables by roughly chopping the onions and carrots.
- Add the onions to the casserole dish first, then add the carrots.
- Add the rosemary, thyme and bay leaf to the vegetables. These can be added whole to infuse the disk with flavour whilst making them easy to remove once cooked.
- Add salt and pepper to season
- Roughly chop the 3 cloves of garlic, pop them in the own and cook gently for a couple of minutes.
- Add some tomato puree to enrich the sauce and cook for a further couple of minutes.
- Add 500ml of beef stock
- Add a glass of red wine
- Add the shanks to the mix and cook the dish in the oven for 2.5 – 3 hrs
- Serve and enjoy!
Discover how to make meltingly tender lamb shank in red wine using the finest Scotch Lamb.