- prep 20 mins
- cook 30 mins
- serves 4
- 500g 1.5 inch diced Scotch Lamb neck, shoulder or leg
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 1 butternut squash, cubed into 2cm squares
- 400g basmati rice
- 8 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 3 green chillies, finely sliced
- 4 bay leaves
- 25g fresh mint leaves
- 100g frozen peas
- 1 stock cube (lamb, chicken or vegetable)
- 8 whole cloves
- 1 large thumb of fresh ginger, finely diced
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 1 heaped tsp turmeric
- 2 tsps cumin seeds
- 2 tsps coriander seeds
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- Or use a pre-made curry paste
Preheat oven to gas mark 7 / 220°C / 425°F.
Add the diced lamb to a pan and allow to brown all over. Once the meat has been seared, remove and fry the onions and garlic along with the chilli, ginger and whole spices (not the turmeric).
Add the turmeric and butternut squash and fry for 5mins. Place the rice into the pan and constantly stir, allowing the rice to colour. Add water (double the volume of rice), the lamb, the bay leaves and stock cube. Bring to the boil, place a lid on and put into the oven for 15mins. When the rice is softened, gently stir, season to taste, remove the bay leaves and add the peas and mint to serve.